Skip to main content Site Map

Find the best care for you and your whānau

Depending on your illness, injury or other health concern, there are various places you and your whānau can access healthcare.

In an emergency dial 111 and ask for an ambulance.

Here’s a quick reference guide to where you can go for online health information and guidance; is Aotearoa New Zealand's go-to website for trusted easy-to-understand health information and self-help resources. You’ll find information on common conditions and injuries, such as sore throats, stomach pain as well as where to access a GP, clinic, or specialist service. provides up-to-date information about healthcare providers (GPs, pharmacies, social services, hospitals, testing and vaccination sites, mental health support) and their opening hours and services.

Feeling down? Free mental wellbeing support is available to help you get back on track

Want Health information via an app? A Health App Library is made up of apps that have been reviewed by experts, so you can decide which ones are right for you and your whānau

If you have a medical emergency and you require urgent assistance, please call 111 immediately.

A medical emergency includes chest pain or tightness, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding or bleeding that won’t stop, sudden weakness or difficulty talking, fainting or unconsciousness.

a medicine bottle and spoonPharmacy or chemist

Your local pharmacist is a registered health professional who can offer health advice on a range of common conditions and what kinds of medicine you might need.

They may also provide some vaccinations and free health checks. Find a pharmacy near you().

Selected pharmacies in Auckland are providing a free Minor Health Conditions service for all Māori and Pacific people, children aged under 14 years, and community service card holders.

Minor health conditions are those that can be managed with advice, self-care and in some cases, medicines provided by your pharmacist. Proper management of minor health conditions can prevent more serious conditions from developing or prevent further costly treatment.   

The service runs from Monday 12 June to Saturday 30 September. Find out more about minor health conditions and participating pharmacies.()

a stethoscopeYour GP, family doctor or medical centre

One of the most important things you and your family can do to look after your health is to register with a general practice in your area, so you have your own doctor.

Your general practitioner (GP) or family doctor is the person who provides most of your primary health care (the first contact you or your whānau have with the health system). 

They can develop a relationship with you and have a better understanding of your unique healthcare needs. They’re the person you go to if you’re sick or if you need a check-up.

See your GP for long-term care, ear pain, stubborn coughs and colds and pain management.

a red cross on an orange backgroundUrgent care clinic

If your family doctor is not available your local Urgent Care Clinic (Accident and Medical), or after-hours clinic can provide urgent care for illnesses and injuries including:

  • minor illnesses
  • eye injuries
  • sports injuries
  • mild asthma.

You don’t need to make an appointment to be seen. Some are open 24/7 and provide free or low-cost care for:

  • children under 13 years old
  • adults over 65 years old
  • people with low incomes.

Find an Urgent Care Clinic(). To learn more about the fees charged by a particular clinic, visit their page on Healthpoint().

a red ambulance lightHospital – Emergency Department or ambulance

In an emergency, dial 111 and ask for an ambulance.

The Emergency Departments at Auckland City and Starship Hospitals should be used in an emergency for critical or life-threatening situations. These include having chest pain, difficulty breathing, severe pain, bad burns, loss of consciousness or after a serious accident.

If you cannot travel to the Emergency Department yourself, you should dial 111 and ask for an ambulance.


Mental health crisis helpline 

  • Call 0800 800 717 for 24 hours a day / 7 days a week help if you are dealing with a mental health crisis. Or, you can call 1737 to speak with a trained counsellor from anywhere in New Zealand.

Labour and Birthing 

  • People who may be in labour, or would like advice, can call our National Women’s Health Labour and Birthing suite 
    09 307 2888, 24 hours a day / 7 days a week
  • Call 111 in an emergency situation, if you are concerned about yourself or your baby.



Is this information available in other languages?

This information is available in Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Samoan, and Tongan.

For additional information on the New Zealand health system in other languages visit Your Local Doctor.

Help! I'm feeling sick, where do I go?

Your family doctor plays an important role in keeping your family healthy. Usually they're the first place you should go for non-urgent health concerns including stubborn coughs, colds, and pain management. They also provide treatment for long-term conditions and illnesses. You can call them for health advice and to make an appointment to be seen. 

If you can’t get in touch with your doctor or aren’t sure where to go contact Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free health advice. If English isn’t your first language there are interpreters who can help.

When should I go to the hospital?

The Hospital Emergency Department is for life-threatening conditions. If it’s an emergency, don’t hesitate - call 111 or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.

Do I need to see a doctor?

Healthline is here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 611 116. Healthline nurses are specialists in assessing and advising over the phone.

Phone calls are free from within New Zealand – this includes calls from a mobile phone.

Visit the Ministry of Health for information about Healthline.

My child is unwell. What should I do?

If your child is unwell, it's always best to seek medical attention sooner, rather than later. Don't wait to see if their condition gets worse. If you are not sure whether to take them to hospital you can visit your GP or call Healthline on 0800 611 116 to speak with a nurse. In an emergency always call 111.

What if I don't have a family doctor?

You can find a family doctor (and see their prices) on Healthpoint. You can enter your address or browse by suburb to find one near you.

I can't get to the doctors, what should I do?

To seek immediate health advice, contact your family doctor or call Healthline on 0800 611 116 to speak to an experienced nurse, 24/7. They can assess you over the phone and advise you on what to do. If English isn’t your first language, there are interpreters who can help.

Visit the Ministry of Health for more information.

My doctor is closed. Where should I go?

If you need urgent care for minor illnesses and injuries but your doctor’s office is closed you can visit your nearest Accident and Medical (A&M) clinic. No appointment is necessary.

To learn more about the fees charged by a particular clinic, visit their page on Healthpoint.

You can also contact Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free advice.

How much is a family doctor or A&M clinic visit?
  • Family doctor/GP

Doctors’ practices and medical centres are privately owned and set their own fees. The cost of a visit will be lower if you’re enrolled with the GP, because the government subsidises the fee. Some general practices join a ‘low cost access’ programme run by their primary health organisation. This means they get extra government funding to keep their fees at low levels. 

There is generally a reduced rate for anyone under 18 or over 65. Some things like immunisations for children are free, and children under 13 are eligible for free general practice visits (both during the day and after-hours). 

To learn more about the fees charged by a particular practice, search for that practice on Healthpoint.

To learn more about enrolling with a GP and government programmes and services that may be available to you, visit the Ministry of Health.

  • A&M clinic

After-hours care usually costs more.  You may be able to enrol with some accident and medical, or after-hours clinics. The cost of a visit will be lower if you’re enrolled. To be sure, always check with the clinic.

To learn more about the fees charged by a particular A&M clinic, visit their page on Healthpoint.

Why is my wait so long?

If you need urgent hospital-based care, you will still receive the treatment you need, and the same high level of care from our clinicians.

However, if you arrive at our ED with less critical illnesses or injuries you are likely to experience a long wait. Please be patient and understand that we take your care seriously, but must treat people with urgent illnesses first. We will also be discharging patients as soon as they are well enough to go home, in order to free up hospital bed space.

We’re taking these steps to ensure our specialised hospital services are available to you, your friends, whanau and community when you have a serious illness or injury.

Am I eligible for public funded health care in NZ?

To find out if you are eligible for publicly funded health and disability services, the eligibility criteria and what you need to prove your eligibility, visit the Ministry of Health